About this project
MnDOT will improve Hwy 23 from the Rum River bridge at Fifth St. SW to Mille Lacs Co. Rd. 2 (105th Ave.) in Milaca. Construction is scheduled for 2026. The project will require a detour.
March 2022: A corridor study was completed in 2021 and will be used to plan future access and safety improvements on Hwy 23 in Milaca. MnDOT is in the process of drafting layout concepts and will seek public input in fall or winter 2022-2023.
Summary of work
- Reconstruct the road from east of the Rum River Bridge to 5th Ave. SE
- Resurface the road from 5th Ave. SE to Mille Lacs Co. Rd. 2 (105th Ave.)
- Upgrade the intersection and signal system at Hwy 23 and Central Ave. S (Mille Lacs Co. Rd. 36)
- Update sidewalks and approaches between Central Ave. S (Mille Lacs Co. Rd. 36) and 3rd Ave. SE
- Add new pedestrian connections—sidewalk or trail
- Consider the safety and access recommendations indicated in the 2021 corridor study.
Motorists: Road or lane closures, detour
Pedestrians: Sidewalk closures, detour