Hwy 52 lane changes set Aug. 5 to prepare for Aug. 9-10 bridge replacement over Hwy 60 East
ZUMBROTA, Minn. – Hwy 52 traffic will be moved into a single lane in each direction in the southbound lanes on Thursday, Aug. 5, one-half mile north and south of the Hwy 60 East interchange. The reduction in lanes south of Zumbrota is due to the planned replacement of the northbound bridge over Hwy 60 East, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
Motorists should be aware of planned detours related to the work:
- Aug. 6, from 6 a.m. to 10 a.m. Closure of Hwy 52 southbound off-ramp to Hwy 60 east for work in preparation of the removal of the northbound Hwy 52 bridge over Hwy 60 East. Motorists traveling on Hwy 52 South to Hwy 60 East will utilize a U-turn lane at 480th St. Crews will be removing guardrail and adding concrete barriers during this brief detour. View the Aug. 6 detour map (PDF)
- Aug. 9-10, 7 p.m. to 5 a.m. The northbound Hwy 52 bridge removal over Hwy 60 East is scheduled for two successive nights.
- During demolition, motorists traveling on Hwy 52 south to Hwy 60 east will utilize a U-turn lane at 480th St. View the Aug. 9-10 southbound detour map (PDF)
- Motorists traveling west on Hwy 60 East to Hwy 52 south will take Hwy 52 north to the Hwy 58 interchange, cross over the highway and return to Hwy 52 south. This detour will remain for approximately four months. View the Aug. 9-10 westbound detour map (PDF)
The replacement of the northbound Hwy 52 bridge over Hwy 60 East is part of the Hwy 52 project from Zumbrota to Cannon Falls. Overall, the project will address safety risks along and across Hwy 52, which includes cross streets and driveways. Construction will affect the flow of traffic between April and November each year. Traffic will be maintained on Hwy 52. However, drivers can expect reduced lanes and lane shifts. Drivers looking to cross Hwy 52 may need to follow a detour. Detours and open crossings will change as construction moves. Signs will guide drivers around closures, and detour information can be found on our website in advance of the changes. Off-road work may occur during the winter months.
Some of the items may move in time periods or change as design work continues.
- Replace the Hwy 60 West overpass bridge at Zumbrota
- Replace the Hwy 52 northbound bridge at the Hwy 60 East interchange south of Zumbrota
- Construct access control measures along highway
- Rebuild Hwy 52 southbound from (4,000 feet north) Goodhue County Road 9 to Goodhue County Road 50
- Build a new interchange at the intersection of Hwy 57/Goodhue County Road 8 and Hwy 52
- Replace the southbound bridge over Hwy 52 for Hwy 60 East
- Build Goodhue County Road 14 connection, frontage roads, and cul de sacs
- Replace the Hwy 52 southbound bridge over the Zumbro River
- Reconstruct Hwy 52 southbound from Goodhue County Road 24 in Cannon Falls to (4,000 feet) north of County Road 9
- Reconstruct Hwy 52 southbound from County Road 50 to 1.3 miles north of Goodhue County Road 7
- Construct frontage roads and cul de sacs
- Construct noisewall along northbound Hwy 52 south of Hwy 58 interchange at Zumbrota
Motorists may encounter lane closures or lane shifts, uneven road surfaces, equipment and other unexpected obstacles when driving near or through work zones. MnDOT advises motorists to:
- Expect delays, especially during peak travel times
- Go hands-free and minimize other distractions (e.g., don’t eat or drink while driving)
- Follow posted speed limits; the fine for speeding in a work zone is $300
- Avoid making lane changes within work zones