Hwy 71 will close Aug. 18 in Olivia for city project
WILLMAR, Minn. — Hwy 71 will close in Olivia from West Oak Avenue to Hwy 212 beginning Wednesday, Aug. 18. The City of Olivia will undertake needed infrastructure improvements ahead of a MnDOT resurfacing project scheduled for construction in 2022.
Traffic west of Hwy 71 will be detoured on Renville County Roads 1 and 4. Traffic east of Hwy 71 will be detoured on Renville County Roads 5 and 4. The city project is scheduled to be complete by Sept. 24.
Watch for orange cones
Travelers may encounter lane closures or lane shifts, uneven road surfaces, heavy equipment and other unexpected obstacles when driving near or through work zones.
Work zone safety reminders:
- Slow down when approaching every work zone
- Never enter a roadway that is blocked by barriers or cones
- Stay alert; watch for workers and slow-moving equipment
- Obey posted speed limits; fine for a work zone violation is $300
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel and while walking or biking
- Be patient and expect delays, especially during peak travel times