Date change: Overnight I-90 detour moved to Oct. 21 at 28th St. NE bridge project in Austin
AUSTIN, Minn. — Motorists on Interstate 90 in Austin will be detoured up and down the highway ramps at the 28th St. NE bridge overnight beginning Oct. 21 while crews remove equipment, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation. Originally, work was planned for Oct. 20, but with rain possible that night, work is being rescheduled one day later.
Motorists will be directed up and down the ramps during the work and should follow the signs during the closure from 7 p.m., Oct. 21 to 6 a.m., Oct. 22.
Removal of cranes and removal of the concrete forms on the bridge will be occurring. The removal of the forms will also remove the vehicle height restriction under the bridge beginning the morning of Oct. 21.
Westbound I-90 motorists who use the 28th St. NE exit to access the north side of the highway to reach places such as Nexus Gerard Academy and the Austin Country Club, will be detoured from Friday, Oct. 22 to Wednesday, Oct. 27, while the off-ramp is repaired and repaved. Motorists should use exit 183 east of Austin and travel on 220th St. west to reach these destinations. The off-ramp at Exit 181 will be closed for six days. The I-90 on-ramp at Exit 181 will remain open.
Motorists should also watch for a brief closure of 28th St. on the south side of the bridge, which runs through Thursday, Oct. 21. Neighbors have been notified in advance.
Other detours remain in place.
- Eastbound I-90 motorists (coming from Austin) who want to reach locations on the north side of the 28th St. NE bridge will continue past Exit 181 for 3 miles to Exit 183. Motorists will turn north (left) at the off-ramp on Hwy 56, turning west (left) on 220th St. to travel west to reach 28th St. NE on the north side of the bridge.
- Westbound I-90 motorists who want to reach locations on the south side of 28th St. NE or Mower County Road 58 will use Exit 183, turn south (left) on Hwy 56 and then west (right) on 215th St.
- Southbound motorists on 28th St. NE who want to cross the bridge or enter eastbound I-90 will detour by entering westbound I-90 and using Exit 180B, crossing I-90, entering eastbound I-90 or exiting at Exit 181 to then travel south on 28th St. NE.
- Northbound motorists on 28th St. NE who want to cross the bridge or travel westbound on I-90 will travel east (right) on 215th Street to Hwy 56, turn north (left) to reach I-90. Motorists will enter westbound I-90 and continue or use Exit 181 to reach northside destinations or continue on 28th St. NE.
Residents or businesses adjacent to the work zone may contact Mike Myers with Kraemer North American, the contractor, to discuss specific questions or concerns about access to their properties. Myers can be reached at 612-290-9830.
Kraemer North America of Plain, Wis., is the prime contractor for the $3.9 million construction project. Work is expected to be completed in early November.
Motorists may encounter lane closures or lane shifts, uneven road surfaces, equipment and other unexpected obstacles when driving near or through work zones. MnDOT advises motorists to:
- Expect delays, especially during peak travel times
- Go hands-free and minimize other distractions (e.g., don’t eat or drink while driving
- Follow posted speed limits; the fine for speeding in a work zone is $300
- Avoid making lane changes within work zones