Crash on Hwy 12 west of Atwater; use caution through the area
WILLMAR, Minn. – (6:30 a.m.) A semi rollover on Highway 12, one mile west of Atwater, has slowed traffic and drivers are urged to slow down and proceed with caution as workers clear the crash site. Travel conditions are difficult after a storm swept through the area overnight; there are scattered slippery spots in open areas and visibility is reduced. MnDOT snowplow operators continue to work hard to improve road conditions.
Safe winter driving recommendations
- Don’t drive distracted.
- Say alert for snowplows which turn or exit frequently and may travel over centerlines or partially in traffic to further improve road conditions.
- Stay back at least 10 car lengths behind the plow; don’t drive into a snow cloud.
- Slow down to a safe speed for current conditions.
- Turn your headlights on (not simply the automatic setting) and wear your seat belt.
- Turn off the cruise control.
- Be patient and remember snowplows are working to improve road conditions for your trip.
- Sign up for email or text travel alerts at MnDOT's website by clicking “Email and text updates” under the “Connect with us” heading. Choose to receive messages via email or text message. Then, choose the “Southwest MN Travel Alerts” under the “Travel Alerts” category.