Construction begins April 25 for Hwy 65 Albert Lea reconstruction project
The Hwy 65 project includes reconstructing the road from Newton Avenue to the Shell Rock River Bridge, repaving the road from Shell Rock River Bridge to Sorenson Road, installing a new traffic signal at Garfield Avenue and improving sidewalks and lighting. Intersections from Garfield Avenue to Prospect Avenue will be improved, including construction of Reduced Conflict Intersections (RCIs) at Prospect Avenue and Morningside Road. Work is expected to be complete in October.
The completed work should improve drainage to reduce flood events and improve safety for pedestrians. Right-angle crashes will be reduced from Garfield Avenue to Prospect Avenue through intersection modifications and RCI installations.
Traffic impacts and schedule
Construction will be divided into four stages. People with access questions to a business or home should contact Chris Harber, Ulland Brothers Project Manager, at 507-383-4986 or email@example.com.
- April 25 to mid-May: Culvert replacement between Sorenson Avenue and East Main Street.
- Traffic will use a detour that includes Blake Avenue.
- April 25 to early August: Reconstruction from Newton Avenue to Shell Rock River Bridge.
- Traffic will use a detour that includes West Front Street.
Stages 3 and 4
- Early August to October: Construction of new medians, turn lanes and travel lanes and resurfacing of the road. Stage 3 work will start on the inside lanes and median. Once that is complete, Stage 4 work will begin on the outside lanes and remaining items.
- Traffic will be reduced to one lane in each direction from Shell Rock River Bridge to Sorenson Avenue.
Stay connected, informed
- Learn more about the Hwy 65 project and sign up for email/text message updates.
- Check out other MnDOT southeast Minnesota construction projects and sign up for construction updates.