Hwy 52 Zumbrota to Cannon Falls construction begins April 21, expect traffic delays
ZUMBROTA, Minn. – Motorists should be prepared for the start of the Hwy 52 Zumbrota to Cannon Falls project on April 21 when crews begin routing traffic into single lanes in each direction through the work zone north of Zumbrota, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
The contractor will be moving traffic into single lanes in each direction. Traffic between Goodhue County Road 50 and just past Hwy 57 at Hader will be traveling in the southbound lanes. Traffic between Goodhue County Road 1 to just north of Hwy 57 at Hader will be traveling in the northbound lanes.
Construction work will begin building the Hwy 57/County Road 8 interchange with crews working on the northbound portion of the new Hwy 52 bridge. Reconstruction of the southbound Hwy 52 pavement will be occurring north of this location.
Once construction begins, motorists can expect traffic delays at times through the construction zone especially during mornings, evenings and weekends.
The following lane closures, lane shifts and detours will begin once construction starts and last into early November.
Single lane closures and head-to-head traffic
Crews will be reducing Hwy 52 to a single lane in each direction beginning one mile north of County 1 Boulevard and extending to 415th Street.
- Motorists can expect single lane closures and lane shifts for approximately 6.3 miles. Signs will give advance notice of lane changes.
- Motorists traveling southbound on Hwy 52 will exit at County 1 Boulevard. to access County Road 9.
- Motorists traveling on County Road 9 will utilize County 1 Boulevard north to connect to Hwy 52 southbound.
- Motorists traveling southbound on Hwy 52 will exit at County Road 1 and travel south to connect to County Road 8 on the west side of Hwy 52, or travel south on County Road 1, easts on County Road 9 to connect to County Road 8 on the east side of Hwy 52.
- Motorists traveling on Hwy 52 north will exit at County Road 9, and travel east to connect to County Road 8, or travel west, head southbound on County 1 Boulevard to connect to County Road 8.
Hwy 57 and County Road 8 at Hwy 52 interchange construction detour
- Motorists traveling northbound on Hwy 52 will exit at Hwy 60 w 57.
- Motorists traveling on Hwy 57 will travel east on Hwy 60 to connect to Hwy 52.
Permanent township roadway access closures to Hwy 52 will occur in conjunction with the roadway restrictions. These closures are permanent to improve long-term safety along Hwy 52 by reducing uncontrolled intersection access. These access closures include:
- 90th Avenue
- 100th Avenue
- 110th Avenue
Motorists may encounter lane closures or lane shifts, uneven road surfaces, equipment and other unexpected obstacles when driving near or through work zones. MnDOT advises motorists to:
- Expect delays, especially during peak travel times.
- Go hands-free and minimize other distractions (e.g., don’t eat or drink while driving).
- Follow posted speed limits; the fine for speeding in a work zone is $300.
- Avoid making lane changes within work zones.
Stay connected, informed