Hwy 61 lane closures, overnight detour planned Aug. 1-4 in La Crescent for pedestrian bridge installation
LA CRESCENT, Minn. – Motorists on hwy 61 in La Crescent will experience lane closures Aug. 1-4 and an overnight detour Aug. 4 as crews install a pedestrian bridge over the hwy, according to the Minnesota Department of Transportation.
Beginning Monday, Aug. 1, the northbound right lane and turn lane of Hwy 61/14, north of the intersection with South Third Street and Hwy 61/14/16, will be closed. The lane closure will be in effect through the end of the day on Thursday, Aug. 4.
On Thursday night, Aug. 4, there will be detours of traffic on Hwy 61/14.
- Southbound Hwy 61/14 traffic planning to continue south on Hwy 16 or travel east on Hwy 61/14/16 to La Crosse will be detoured left onto South Chestnut Street, then travel south under the hwy and reconnect with Hwy 16 where motorists can either travel left or right to continue to their destinations. This detour will be in place from 11 p.m., Thursday to 1 a.m., Friday.
- Northbound Hwy 16 traffic or westbound Hwy 61/14/16 traffic headed toward Interstate 90 will need to turn onto South Chestnut Street south of the intersection and follow it north to reconnect with the hwy. This detour will be in place from 8 p.m., Thursday to 4 a.m., Friday.
Barricades and detour signs along the route will be in place for motorists.
- Slow down when approaching every work zone, then navigate through with care and caution.
- Stay alert; work zones constantly change.
- Watch for workers and slow moving equipment.
- Obey posted speed limits. Fine for a violation in a work zone is $300.
- Minimize distractions behind the wheel.
- Be patient; expect delays, especially during peak travel times.
Stay connected, informed
- Learn more about other MnDOT construction projects in southeast Minnesota at MnDOT’s website.