New signs going up as part of Hwy 67 rerouting project between Granite Falls and Echo
WILLMAR, Minn. – New roadway signs are being placed on Hwy 67, Hwy 274, and Yellow Medicine Co. Road 2 to reflect changes to names and roadway ownership resulting from the Hwy 67 rerouting project.
A portion of Hwy 67 between Granite Falls and Echo was closed in spring 2019 due to ground movement underneath the roadway. Following the assessment of potential solutions, close collaboration with Yellow Medicine Co. and other stakeholders, and gathering input from the surrounding community, the decision was made to reroute Hwy 67 using Hwy 274 and Co. Road 2.
The attached map illustrates the new roadway designations that are explained below.
New roadway designations
- Hwy 274 from Hwy 23 to existing Co. Road 2 (north end of Wood Lake) is now Hwy 67
- Co. Road 6 will extend to new Hwy 67/old Co. Road 2
- Co. Road 2 from Wood Lake to Hwy 67 is now Hwy 67
- Hwy 67 from Granite Falls to the impacted area (which remains closed) will become Hwy 167
- Hwy 67 from the impacted area to Co. Road 21 will become Co. Road A1
- Co. Road 21 will extend to new Hwy 67/old Co. Road 2
Future projects in the area
As part of these changes, MnDOT will be completing additional projects in the area:
- Installing guardrail, rumble strips and striping on the new Hwy 67/old Co. Road 2. Work is anticipated to be completed in 2024.
- A cul-de-sac will be constructed on existing Hwy 67 near the entrance to the Upper Sioux Agency State Park. Work is anticipated to be completed in 2025.
- The Yellow Medicine Bridge is anticipated to be removed in 2026, or earlier if ground movement accelerates faster than projected.
- Learn more at Hwy 67 Granite Falls to Echo web page.