Expand to six lanes
Plans are underway to improve and expand I-94 to six lanes, three in each direction, to close the gap between Albertville and Monticello. Work begins July 2024.
Preliminary plans continue and the project will let spring 2024. Crews will begin to prepare the work zone in July 2024, which includes temporary lane widening and median crossovers. Major construction to take place spring 2025–fall 2026.
Summary of work
- Reconstruct the road surface
- Add a third westbound lane from Co. Rd. 37 in Albertville to west of Hwy 25 in Monticello
- Add a third eastbound lane from west of Hwy 25 in Monticello to Co. Rd. 19 in Albertville
- Replace the westbound bridge over Wright Co. Rd. 19 in Albertville
- Widen the westbound bridge over Co. Rd. 75 in Monticello
- Replace or repair underground pipes
- Install potential noise walls along I-94 in the Monticello area