About this project
Summary of MnDOT work
- Construct a reduced conflict intersection (also known as a J-turn) at the intersection of Hwy 212 & McLeod County Road 1. A permanent snow fence and pedestrian improvements are also included in the CR 1 project.
- Construct a reduced conflict intersection (a partial J-turn) at the intersection of Hwy 212 & Hwy 22/Chandler Ave.
- Both reduced conflict intersections are designed to accommodate vehicles of all sizes, including semi-trucks, emergency vehicles and agricultural equipment.
- The McLeod County Road 1 entrances to Hwy 212 are closed. A McLeod County Road 1 project coincides with this project, so traffic will be detoured to Morningside Drive and follow the posted McLeod County detour.
- View the CR 1 detour map.
- Hwy 212 is reduced to one lane in both directions from Hamlet Avenue to Morningside Avenue North.
- A vehicle width limit of 11 feet is in effect.
August 5, 2022
- Hwy 212/Chandler Ave: the intersection has reopened
- Using the newly constructed intersection at Chandler Ave:
- To head east on Hwy 212 from Chandler, make a slight right turn onto Hwy 12, enter and complete the newly dedicated U-turn
- To head west on Hwy 212 from Chandler, make a right turn (no change)
- To turn onto Chandler from either direction on Hwy 212, simply enter the dedicated turn lane (no change)
- Review how to use a J-turn at MnDOT's reduced conflict intersection web pages.
- Hwy 212/CR 1: crews finished the inside portion of the J-turn and started seeding this week; and, traffic control switched. Next week, they will finish the pond and ditch grading from stage 1 and then move to lighting, signing and striping
Additional construction projects in Glencoe area
- 2021: McLeod County and City of Glencoe expanded Morningside Drive in 2020. The road was paved in 2021.
- 2021: The City of Glencoe resurfaced 10th St. from Hennepin Ave. to Morningside Drive.
- 2021: McLeod County paved CR 2 from the Sibley County line to 10th St.
- 2022: MnDOT is constructing a J-turn at the intersection of Hwy 212 & CR 1 and a partial J-turn at the intersection of Hwy 212 & Hwy 22/Chandler Ave.
- 2022: MnDOT is resurfacing Hwy 22 from the intersection of Hwy 212 to Cedar Ave. Upgrading of sidewalks, pedestrian crossings and some driveways are part of the project.
- 2022: McLeod County is paving five miles of CR 1 from CR 3 south to the county line. The project coincides with MnDOT's Hwy 212 project listed above. Traffic will follow the posted McLeod County detours.
- 2024: MnDOT will construct a roundabout at the intersection of Hwy 212 and Morningside Drive.
- View a map of all upcoming projects (PDF)