James J. Hill Stone Arch Bridge (Bridge 27004)
History & significance
The James J. Hill Stone Arch Bridge was built between 1881 and 1883 to carry the Minneapolis Union Railroad over the Mississippi River just below St. Anthony Falls in Minneapolis. Originally the bridge had 23 limestone arches with spans ranging from 40 to 97.8 feet. In 1962 two river spans were replaced by a steel Warren deck truss to accommodate vessels using the newly completed Upper Lock and Dam. After railroad use of the bridge ended in 1982, it was converted for pedestrian use and became part of the St. Anthony Falls Heritage Trail. The bridge is located within the St. Anthony Falls Historic District and is designated a National Historic Engineering Landmark.
City of Minneapolis (Hennepin County)
Latitude, Longitude: 44.98074442, -93.25354072