About this project
Want to know more about roundabouts?
Pedestrian safety at roundabouts
Watch this video for tips and how pedestrian crossings and traffic work.
Below are additional resources that explain roundabout benefits and tips to navigate them safely.
- Navigating a Multi-Lane Roundabout (video)
- Minnesota Roundabout Resources (MnDOT website includes videos, brochures, research, examples)
- How Roundabouts Work (WisDOT website includes videos, brochures, FAQ)
Summary of work
Reconstruction of Hwy 43/Mankato Ave. from Sugar Loaf View to Belleview St. began on April 11 and is scheduled to continue until late November 2022. This includes adding roundabouts at the following intersections: Hwy 61, Riverbend Rd., Frontenac Dr., and Sarnia St. Portions of Sarnia St. will also be reconstructed. You can learn more about roundabouts and how to navigate them here.
Reasons for reconstruction
MnDOT is reconstructing this stretch of Hwy 43 to improve safety and decrease congestion. Thousands of residents, commuters and business owners rely on the 3/4 mile stretch of Hwy 43/Mankato Ave. between Sugar Loaf View and Bellview St. in Winona each day.
This stretch of road needs to be improved. There have been 120 crashes at the Hwy 61 and Hwy 43 intersection over the past 10 years which is the second-highest crash rate for any stretch in southeast Minnesota. People traveling on this road also experience longer-than-average delays and traffic back-ups during rush hour. Meanwhile, pedestrians and bicyclists have a difficult time crossing the road.
Stages of construction
Stages are tentative and may change depending on availability of materials.
- Create one lane of traffic in each direction on Hwy 61. There will also be some work on the north side of Sarnia St.
- Reconstruct a significant portion of the Hwy 61/Hwy 43 intersection as well as the eastbound lanes on Hwy 61, East Lake Blvd., the west side of Mankato Ave. from Sugar Loaf View to Frontenac Dr. and the east side of Mankato Ave. from Frontenac Dr. to Belleview St.
- Work adjacent to the main roadways and a portion of the box culvert replacement located just south of Sarnia St. at Gilmore Creek
- Reconstruct the east side of Mankato Ave. from Sugar Loaf View to Frontenac Dr., the west side of Mankato Ave. from Frontenac Dr. to Belleview St. and the south side of Sarnia St.
- Minor work along the highways including median treatments and roundabout center island landscaping.
In addition, final minor construction will take taking place in the spring of 2023.