Sign up to receive project email updates or text messages so you can stay aware of traffic impacts and construction schedules.
Oct. 6, 2022 update
- Watch for short-term closures of Parks Avenue north across from Frontenac Drive this weekend (Oct. 8-9) as Xcel Energy places its gas line underground along the west side of Highway 43/Mankato Avenue. At times, crews will need to close the access at Park Avenue north. Motorists will be able to access Winona Health and other properties located on the west side by using other access roads to the south.
- Southbound motorists will be able to use right turns at Riverbend Road and Parks Avenue south as well as Parks Avenue access on Highway 61 west near the Winona Family YMCA.
- Northbound motorists will need to use Parks Avenue south to cross Highway 43/Mankato Avenue or use Parks Avenue on Highway 61 during the short-term closure. Parks Avenue north will be open once the gas line installation work is completed.
- Remember that Riverbend Road is closed to traffic on the east side of Highway 43/Mankato.. The Riverbend closure is estimated to be about two weeks and Bruski will close after Riverbend reopens.
- Remember that left turns on Hwy 43/Mankato Avenue are not allowed. No left turn signs are present as you approach intersections as well as into the intersections. Trying to make left turns will cause traffic backups and there will be times that those side road entrances will be closed for construction.
- If you are going southbound and you want to go east onto Bruski, Riverbend, and Frontenac, you will have to go south to the Hwy 61/43 roundabout and come back north and turn right onto your desired street.
- If you are going northbound and you want to go west onto S. Parks, Riverbend, or N. Parks, you will have to take a right turn at one of the open intersections going east, go around the block, and travel west straight across Mankato Ave.
- Watch for traffic changes near Sarnia as crews continue to work on the large box culvert that connects Lake Winona and Gilmore Creek.
- All businesses can be accessed through the work zone.
- Remember to view the overhead signs at the Hwy 61/43 roundabout that direct you to which lane is best for the direction you want to travel after you exit the roundabout.
Questions? Here's who to contact:
- Businesses that have questions or concerns about access may contact Hoffman Construction’s access manager, Kyle Pedersen, at 715-896-2038 or email@example.com
- Mike Dougherty | MnDOT District 6 Director of Public Engagement and Communications | 507-251-2749
- Mark Anderson | MnDOT Construction Project Manager | 507-205-6400
Motorists may encounter lane closures or lane shifts, uneven road surfaces, equipment and other unexpected obstacles when driving near or through work zones. MnDOT advises motorists to:
- Expect delays, especially during peak travel times.
- Go hands-free and minimize other distractions (e.g., don’t eat or drink while driving).
- Follow posted speed limits; the fine for speeding in a work zone is $300.
- Avoid making lane changes within work zones.