About this project
MnDOT and the City of LeRoy have decided to adjust the Hwy 56 reconstruction project schedule with contractor selection occurring in summer 2023 and road construction beginning in spring 2024. The project is anticipated to be completed by fall 2024.
This change in the project schedule will enable MnDOT to absorb the increased cost of the project due to inflation, get necessary land access, and allow more time to collaborate with the city on the street design and other project elements.
MnDOT is planning to share more information with the public at a public meeting in summer 2022. Meeting details will be provided as soon as they are available.
Summary of work
A 1.2-mile stretch of Hwy 56 will be reconstructed in LeRoy to address deteriorating pavement conditions, improve drainage, enhance student crosswalk safety and make pedestrian improvements to meet current accessibility standards. At the same time, the City of LeRoy will replace aging city utilities underneath the road.
As a part of the planning process, MnDOT has identified several trees along Hwy 56 that will need to be removed. Because many trees are planted right next to the road, they will likely not survive construction. Many of these trees are located on MnDOT property. If any trees that need to be removed are located on private property, MnDOT will notify property owners and provide funds to replace them. Tree clearing work will begin in fall 2023. Tree clearing is done from November through March to protect the endangered long-eared bats that nest in southeastern Minnesota.
Road construction is scheduled to begin in spring of 2024 and be finished in the fall. MnDOT also plans to conduct additional landscaping work (tentatively in 2025), which would include adding new trees to boulevards.
- Reconfigure Mower Co. Rd. 12, Hwy 56 and Main St. E. intersection to improve safety
- Construct a cul-de-sac west of Mower Co. Rd. 12
- Create a buffer zone between traffic and parking from Mather St. to Everett St. for biking
- Improve school crosswalk safety by constructing a bump out at Mower Co. Rd. 14 and creating a wider school parking zone
- Replace aging storm water, sanitary sewer and water main utilities underneath Hwy 56
- Extend water main past Ada St.
- Replace and install new curb and gutter
- Replace and install new sidewalks
- Landscaping, such as adding trees to boulevards (likely in 2025)
Details can be viewed on the project layout map.